Bibliofile: the new ebook reader
So, in December, I wrote out a plan to write 10 medium sized programs in order to get myself enthusiastic about programming again. Some very unfortunate events that took place in January ensured that this would not happen, as there is literally not enough time in the year to do that after three months of grieving.
So, I decided to change tactics. Instead of writing a bunch of medium-sized programs, I am writing one very big, well-made project. Bibliofile. It is an ebook reader that is all about running on the command line. I got a TUI library all up and running for it, and I am hopefully implementing it on Saturday.
Once I add a couple more features, I am going to officially release it, and package it for Cargo, Rust’s built-in package manager. Then, I am going to add a new branch for implementing the menu system which will be released in v 1.1.
It is nearly complete, and I am excited to have a full project nearly finished! I have a lot of plans for it, but basic functionality is first and foremost. Right now one can fully read an ebook with it, but there is no bookmarking got “go to page #” system. I will need to implement that at some point before the 1.0 release.
I am going to try and finish 1.0 on Saturday, but there are no promises. My car broke down last Thursday and I have been stuck at home ever since. Tomorrow I am going to try and put in the starter, but being a total N00B at car repair, I don’t know how long that will take. Hopefully I can get the starter replaced in an evening.
I have posted to this blog quite a bit since I moved to HUGO, but I will not be uploading again until my car is fixed. Again, hopefully I can get it done in an afternoon. First I need to disconnect the battery and remove the intake manifold, and then I can replace the starter. But, again, I am a total N00B. Removing/replacing the intake manifold could take minutes, or hours. After that I am free to work on Bibliofile all I want, and write as many blog posts as I want. We will see tomorrow!